Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
454 North Circular Road, , Dublin 1, Dublin City
50010738
Front elevation
Reg. No.50010738
Date1785 - 1805
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315858, 235740
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asapartment/flat (converted)
 
Description
Terraced three-storey former house over exposed basement, built c.1795, having two-bay ground floor and single-bay upper floors. Formerly one house with neighbour to east. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile pitched slate roof, rear section hipped to east, with one brick chimneystack shared to east and two brick chimneystacks shared to west. Shared rainwater goods breaking through granite-capped parapet wall to north. Yellow-brown brick wall laid in Flemish bond with recessed pointing, that of the parapet re-pointed, to painted stone string course above painted render walls to basement. Unpainted render to rear elevation. Gauged flat-arch window openings with painted patent reveals and painted stone sills. Timber sliding sash windows to ground and top floors, six-over-six pane to ground floor and eight-over-eight pane to top floor, with replacement windows elsewhere. Segmental-headed door opening with painted moulded render reveals and painted timber panelled door, flanked by engaged pilasters supporting bracketed timber frieze and cornice, with spoked timber fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and two sets of steps through front garden, enclosed to street by original plinth wall, wrought-iron railings on concrete plinth, and cast-iron pedestrian gate with rendered piers. Two sheds to rear of site, one with direct access to Dorset Lane.

Appraisal

This former house is one of an identical pair of houses in a late Georgian-style terrace that is one of the oldest on the North Circular Road. The building, with quirky fenestration, is mirrored by its neighbour to the west. It retains most of its external fabric, including timber sash windows and is enhanced by its fine doorcase and simple fanlight, retained front garden, and pleasant railings. The North Circular Road, which encircles the north side of the city centre in a tree-lined embrace, was laid out in response to an Act of 1763, after a slow start, in the 1780s. The terrace is now predominantly surrounded by late Victorian terraces. The road street is a major traffic artery but the presence of fine, mature, London Plane trees create a boulevard-like ambience.
 
Back To Results