Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Zumo Juice Bar, 3 Earl Street North, Dublin 1, Dublin City
50010259
Front (north) elevation
Reg. No.50010259
Date1915 - 1920
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315954, 234672
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Useshop/retail outlet
In Use Asrestaurant
 
Description
Terraced three-bay four-storey retail premises, built 1917-19, to designs by Fuller & Jermyn. Single-bay central breakfront with engaged pilasters to east and west of front (north) elevation. Flat roof concealed behind red brick parapet having squared granite coping and central blank granite panel. Red brick chimneystack, shared cast-iron downpipes to west. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish bond with granite dressings. Granite modillion cornice to eaves, first floor entirely of ashlar granite. Moulded granite cornice between first and second floors having central apron panel with swag motif. Square-headed window openings to third floor having granite string course forming continuous lintel and corniced sills with apron panels. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs to second floor with granite keystones. Central bays to first and second floor contained within double-height moulded granite surround comprising flat-topped entablature with moulded stone archivolt, holding timber casement oriel windows. Timber casement windows with overlights elsewhere, first floor openings having fixed single-pane windows with decorative overlights. Recent timber shopfront to ground floor flanked by earlier engaged granite Ionic pilasters. Fronts onto pedestrianized street.

Appraisal

Named after the Earl of Drogheda, Viscount Henry Moore, North Earl Street was badly damaged in the fighting of the Easter Rising in 1916. Much of the local building fabric was rebuilt in the classical style in the years 1917-19 under the Dublin Reconstruction Act, 1916. Number 2 retains most of its form and fabric dating from this period. A near replica of neighbouring number 3, the front elevation is of red brick and granite displaying a pleasant yet heavy modillion cornice which is a motif that is repeated frequently along the street. The double height Oriel window is another element that finds echoes along North Earl Street and contributes greatly to a consistent and yet varied streetscape.
 
Back To Results