Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cavan

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
County Cavan
40401406
Main north-east elevation
Reg. No.40401406
Date1790 - 1810
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBOCADE GLEBE
CountyCounty Cavan
Coordinates229806, 311676
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Useschool
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached seven-bay two-storey former school, built c.1800, renovated 1861, and extensively refurbished c.1995, now in use as house. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, altered brick chimneystack off centre in ridge, and uPVC rainwater goods. Random rubble-stone walls laid to courses. Inset stone plaque with moulded frame within droved ashlar surround and sill to first floor, with incised inscription reading 'THIS SCHOOL HOUSE / FALLEN INTO DECAY IS RENEWED / AND DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF / LADY CATHERINE SAUNDERSON / BY MANY WITNESSES OF HER SEDULUOS / AND DILIGENT TEACHING WITHIN IT / OF THE WORKS OF GOD FOR 32 YEARS / 1861'. Brick elliptical arches to openings. Semi-circular opening to north-west gable. Replacement fittings and recast concrete sills to openings.

Appraisal

Set opposite the entrance to Kildallan Glebe House, the former Bocade School forms part of a historical group that adds much to the village's traditional character. Together, the glebe house and school are interesting reminders of the combined role the Established Church had in education and religion in the nineteenth century. The inscribed plaque records that the school was renovated in 1861, and is dedicated to the memory of Lady Catherine Saunderson of Cloverhill who was instrumental in the provision of education in the village. Though some original features and fittings have been replaced, its arched openings make for an eyecatching facade. Interesting, domestic accommodation was provided for the schoolmaster at the west end of the building with its own front entrance.
 
Back To Results