Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cavan

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
County Cavan
40401311
North elevation
Reg. No.40401311
Date1880 - 1890
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCLONEARY
CountyCounty Cavan
Coordinates221985, 316321
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usegoods shed
 
Description
Detached single-bay double-height goods shed, built c.1885, now disused. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, brick chimney to north-west corner, timber rafters exposed at eaves, cast-iron rainwater goods. Random squared and snecked rock-faced limestone walls with decorative red and yellow brick courses to gable verges. Segmental-arched replacement windows to each gable having brick heads and stone sills. Projecting canopy with timber facing above large timber sliding-door to north elevation. Raised door opening to south with recent concrete ramp.

Appraisal

The Cavan and Leitrim Railway was a narrow-gauge line that operated from 1887 until 1959. Bawnboy Road Railway Station was located on the Belturbet to Drumod part of the line. The complex comprises a former railway station, goods shed, and station master's house, though the railway lines and platforms are no longer extant. This expertly built former good shed demonstrates the skill of the stone masons involved in its construction. The decorative brick gable ends detailing repeats the brick of the former railway station, and forms a visual and material link between to the two buildings. Together with the former station master's house, this group is an interesting reminder of the extent of the rail network in the past, and is a fine example of the quality of civil engineering transportation projects at the time.
 
Back To Results