Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cork

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Convamore, County Cork
20903412
Courtyard of farm buildings, east range.
Reg. No.20903412
Date1830 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCONVA
CountyCounty Cork
Coordinates171255, 99258
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usefarmyard complex
In Use Asfarmyard complex
 
Description
Farmyard complex, built c. 1835, comprising south-east courtyard immediately to west of ruinous Convamore House, with second larger farmyard to north-west. Small courtyard enclosed by two-storey ranges, seven-bay to centre, east, range, six-bay flanking ranges, and detached five-bay west range. Hipped slate roof, pitched to west ends of lateral ranges, with cast-iron rainwater goods, and having square-plan cupola with metal clock to east range. Coursed ashlar limestone walls with plinth course to interior elevations, coursed rubble limestone and sandstone to exterior elevations with dressed limestone quoins. Two symmetrical pairs of segmental-arched vehicular entrances to east elevation, having raised surrounds. Segmental-arch carriage entrances to north-west and south-west corners of yard, connecting west range with lateral ranges, and having ashlar limestone walling with string course over arch, one with double-leaf wrought-iron gate. Square-headed window openings, some retaining six-over-six timber sliding sash windows and others timber louvers and battened fixings, and with pitching door to centre of lateral ranges, all with limestone sills. Square-headed door openings with chamfered raised limestone surrounds, some with timber panelled doors. North gable of west range has pitching door with slated gablet and timber battended door with lozenge vent holes. North-west farmyard enclosed by rubble stone walls, entered through segmental carriage arch set in south wall and having dressed limestone walling and cut-stone coping with finial. L-plan single-storey farm building to south-west corner having hipped slate roof and coursed rubble limestone and sandstone walls with dressed limestone quoins, segmental-arched vehicular and pedestrian entrances with dressed sandstone voussoirs, and having slit vents to front wall. Two-storey gable-fronted farm building to west side. Pitched slate roof, cut-stone copings and bellcote and bell to west gable, cut-stone eaves course to side walls, carried through to give open-bed pediment detail to gable-front. Coursed rubble limestone walls with dressed quoins and cut-stone dressings to openings. Date plaque and integral carriage arch to east gable. Timber king-post truss roof to interior. Access to yard via avenue from north. Walled garden to north. Detached four-bay two-storey former gardener's house to north-west of farmyards, built c. 1860, having integral former vehicular entrance, and recent flat-roofed extension to rear. Now in use as private house. Hipped slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods, recent ceramic ridge tiles and recent rendered chimneystack to rear. Rubble limestone walls with limestone eaves course, cut-stone quoins and cut-stone voussoirs and jambs to window and door openings. Square-headed window openings with replacement timber windows. Segmental-arched former vehicular entrance to south end of façade, with recent timber doors. Square-headed main door opening with recent timber door.

Appraisal

This fine farmyard complex retains superb limestone ashlar façades to inner elevations with details around doors, windows and integral arches exhibiting high levels of craftsmanship. The cupola with clock is a rare survival. The second yard to the north-west is also interesting with the handsome gable-fronted farm building dated 1838 with its timber king-post roof. Set to the west of the now ruined main house, these farm buildings are an integral part of Convamore estate and are an important remains of the social and economic history of the area. The attractive former gardener's house stands on the west side of the walled garden and retains high quality stonework, as exhibited in the cut-stone sills, integral archway and quoins.
 
Back To Results