Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Cork

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Allin Institute, Bank Place, Bandon, County Cork
20844062
Front (west) elevation
Reg. No.20844062
Date1865 - 1870
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKNOCKBROGAN
CountyCounty Cork
Coordinates149288, 55122
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Useschool
In Use Ashall
 
Description
Detached six-bay two-storey over basement former school, built 1867, having pedimented central two-bay breakfront to front (west) elevation flanked by single-storey canted bay windows. Recent single-storey extension to side (south). Now in use as hall. Pitched slate roof having rendered parapet with dentilated architrave, frieze and moulded cornice, concealing gutters with cast-iron down pipes. Channelled rendered wall with plinth to front elevation having moulded render sill course having scroll motif to first floor. Rendered walls to side (north, south) elevations having channelled render to ground floor levels surmounted by render string band. Rendered wall to rear (east) elevations. Square-headed window openings with render sills to front elevation having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Bipartite timber-framed windows to front elevations of canted bay windows with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Render voussoirs to openings having vermiculated raised render keystones, oversized render consoles keystones over bay windows. Square-headed window openings with render sills to side (north, south) elevations having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Camber-headed door opening to front elevation within shallow moulded render doorcase, comprising decoratively rendered lozenge detailing, moulded architrave, frieze and cornice with oversized scroll console surmounting double-leaf timber panelled door with limestone stepped approach.

Appraisal

Located at a busy junction, this highly decorated structure is a striking roadside addition. The pedimented breakfront, channelled render, heavy cornice and over sized console keystones, make a profound impression to streetscape. Retention of historic features such as sash windows, cast-iron down pipes and panelled timber doors further enhance the building's character. Built by James Allin of Youghal for Protestant young men, it was rebuilt in the 1920s, following its burning by the IRA on the 23rd June 1921, in reprisal for some of the building's members involvement in the destruction of the Maid of Erin monument.
 
Back To Results