Categories of Special Interest
Cumberland Place North
In Use As
1850 - 1855
Group of six two-bay two-storey over raised basement former houses, dated 1851, now in use as flats. Adjoined to neighbouring terrace on east and west sides. M-profile pitched slate roof, rear pile hipped to no.209 and no.211. Continuous granite capped parapet to front (south). Brown brick and rendered chimneystacks. Some cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish Bond having cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement level. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and cut stone sills. One-over-one pane timber sash windows to no.201 and to ground floor of no.203 and no.205. Two-over-two pane timber sash windows to first floor of no.203 and no.205. Replacement uPVC windows to no.207, no.209 and no.211. Round-headed entrance openings having pilasters with brackets supporting a frieze and cornice. Timber panelled doors. Flush metal door to no.207. Plain fanlights. Flight of cut granite steps with nosings to shared entrance platform having granite capped retaining walls with cast-iron railings. Front gardens enclosed by granite plinth with cast-iron railings and matching pedestrian gates.
This terrace of houses with substantially raised entrance level presents a pleasing elevation suited to the broad character of the tree-lined North Circular Road. The pairing of houses with shared entrance platform gives an ordered elevation and scale to the terrace. The matching surviving door surrounds contribute to their unified appearance. The front garden boundaries survive in good condition and contribute to the streetscape. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create convenient approaches to the city. It developed slowly over the following century with the far west and east ends developing last. Historic maps show the terrace named as Cumberland Place North.