Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1930 - 1950
Freestanding oval-plan cast-iron double post box on plinth base, installed c.1940, with raised P&T insignia, moulded neck, dentillated frieze and shallow domed cap. Raised lettering 'Post Office' to neck. Paired letter boxes to front (east) face.
Prominently located on one of the main city thoroughfares, this attractive piece of street furniture remains in use, and the pair of letter boxes indicates a high volume of use. It represents a notable example of the high quality of mass-produced cast ironwork made in the early twentieth century. The raised Gaelic script lettering was used by the State for many official purposes in its early decades.