Limerick City: Villa Architecture

The 1840 Ordnance Survey map of Limerick City reveals three areas of named buildings, set in large gardens, on the banks of the River Shannon just beyond the city boundary. These are the villas built by successful businessmen in the early nineteenth century. Many of them still survive, as institutions or houses, in what are now more densely inhabited suburban areas. To the south-west are Laurel Hill (now a school), Ashbourne and Summerville House (part of Mary Immaculate College). North of the river are house on the North Circular Road, Shelbourne House (part of Ard Scoil Rs), Tivoli (part of Villiers School) and Bellevue. These would later be joined by Sunville, Kilmoyle, Ardhu House (Clarion Hotel Suites) and Beechlawn. Within the two arms of the river to the east are villas on Mill Road. Most of these houses are elegant classical boxes with wide Italianate eaves and porticos. Some are relaxed single-storey over basement, others are more imposing two storeys, often with a central light well. There is usually a neat gate lodge and always gardens, now the location of many of Limerick's mature trees.

Corbally House Nursing Home, Mill Road, Limerick, Limerick City

View full record

Detached five-bay two-storey over basement house, built c. 1790, facing south and distinguished by a three-sided canted bay to west side elevation, and a three-bay two-storey over-basement bow centrally-placed to rear elevation. Flat-roofed return accretion to rear. An L-plan single-storey residential unit, built c. 1990, attached to west. Hipped artificial slate roof structure. All chimneystacks…