County Kilkenny: CIVIC ARCHITECTURE

Forming the centrepiece of many of the towns and villages throughout the county, Kilkenny features a number of very fine civic or public buildings with a variety of architectural styles indicating the fashions of the period: the cool sophistication of the Gowran Courthouse (1855-6) for instance stands in contrasts against the fantastical fairytale-like Gothicisim of the contemporary (c.1850) Bennettsbridge Garda Síochána Station. Meanwhile, twentieth-century social housing schemes in the city exhibit a pleasing, if economic approach to architectural design distinction.

Kilkenny City Town Hall (The Tholsel), High Street, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Terraced five-bay two-storey over basement Classical-style tholsel with attic, built 1761, on a T-shaped plan with series of nine round-headed openings to ground floor forming open arcade, and single-bay two-storey central return to east. Renovated, 1790, with roof remodelled to accommodate turret. Subsequently in use as courthouse, 1816. Part reconstructed, 1951. Extensively renovated, post-1985. Now…


Kilkenny City Courthouse, Parliament Street, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Attached seven-bay double-height over projecting raised basement Classical-style courthouse, built 1792, originally detached incorporating fabric of earlier bridewell, 1566, to basement retaining fabric of medieval castle, 1210. Remodelled, 1828, with pedimented tetrastyle Tuscan frontispiece added to centre. Extended, 1855-6, comprising four-bay three-storey return to east. Renovated, pre-1977, with interior remodelled. Pitched slate roof (gabled to…


Michael Street, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Terraced three-bay two-storey local authority house, dated 1916. One of a group of seven. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with cut-stone panelled date stone/plaque to first floor. Square-headed window openings with concrete sills,…


Father Hayden Road, DEANSGROUND, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey local authority house, built 1954. One of a terrace of six forming part of a group of twelve. Pitched (shared) roof with clay tile, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Rendered walls to ground floor with roughcast walls to first floor. Square-headed window openings…


Dominic Street, JAMESGREEN, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Terraced three-bay two-storey local authority house, dated 1924. One of a terrace of four forming part of a group of sixteen. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Irregular coursed squared limestone wall to ground floor with rendered stringcourse supporting unpainted roughcast wall…


Kilkenny City Garda Síochána Station, Dominic Street, JAMESGREEN, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached eleven-bay two-storey red brick neo-Georgian Garda Síochána station, built 1942, on a U-shaped plan with three-bay two-storey side elevations extending into three-bay two-storey returns to east. Hipped slate roofs on a U-shaped plan with clay ridge tiles, red brick English Garden Wall bond chimney stacks having rendered coping, slightly sproketed eaves, and cast-iron rainwater…


Castlecomer Courthouse originally Castlecomer Market House, Kilkenny Street, Market Square, CASTLECOMER, Castlecomer, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached single-bay (two-bay deep) two-storey market house, built 1809, on a U-shaped plan; single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porches. Renovated, ----, with interior remodelled to accommodate alternative use. Renovated, 1997. Roof not visible behind parapet; replacement pitched (gabled) artificial slate roofs (porches) with ridge tiles, cut-granite coping to gables on cut-granite kneelers with cut-granite chimney stacks…


Urlingford Courthouse, Main Street, URLINGFORD, Urlingford, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached five-bay two-storey courthouse, built 1840, on a symmetrical plan with single-bay two-storey advanced end bays; single-bay single-storey recessed porches. Closed, ----. Adapted to alternative use, 1996. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered "wallhead" chimney stacks (north) having concrete capping, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on cut-limestone dentil consoles on cut-limestone eaves. Part…


Gowran Courthouse, Main Street, GOWRAN, Gowran, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached three-bay two-storey courthouse, built 1855-6, on a rectangular plan with two-bay two-storey side elevations. Occupied, 1901. Vacant, 1911. Derelict, 1973. Restored, ----, to accommodate alternative use. Hipped slate roof on a U-shaped plan with clay ridge tiles, central chimney stack on axis with ridge having stringcourse below capping supporting terracotta pots, and replacement uPVC…


Bennettsbridge Garda Síochána Station originally Bennettsbridge Constabulary Barra, BENNETTSBRIDGE (D.P.), Bennettsbridge, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached three-bay two-storey Garda Síochána station, built 1927, on an L-shaped plan with single-bay three-stage turrets on circular plans; three-bay (east) or single-bay (west) two-storey side elevations. Hipped slate roof on an L-shaped plan with lichen-spotted clay ridge tiles, paired red brick Running bond central chimney stacks having stringcourses below capping supporting terracotta pots, and…


Callan Town Hall (Callan Market House), Green Street (Edmund Ignatius Rice Street), Market Lane (New Market Street), CALLAN SOUTH, Callan, County Kilkenny

View full record

Attached three-bay two-storey market house, c.1825, originally detached on a corner site with series of three elliptical-headed openings to ground floor forming arcade. Reroofed, c.1950. In use as C.Y.M.S. hall, pre-1973. Now in use as town hall. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1950, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and iron rainwater goods on…


Callan Courthouse, Green Street, CALLAN SOUTH, Callan, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached five-bay two-storey courthouse, built 1840, on a symmetrical plan with single-bay two-storey advanced end bays; single-bay single-storey lean-to recessed porches. Now disused. Hipped slate roof; lean-to slate roofs (porches), clay ridge tiles, yellow brick Common bond "wallhead" chimney stacks (east) on yellow brick Running bond bases having cut-limestone cornice capping supporting terracotta or yellow…


Thomastown Courthouse, Logan's Street, THOMASTOWN, Thomastown, County Kilkenny

View full record

Attached single-bay (two-bay deep) double-height courthouse, ----, on a symmetrical plan with single-bay single-storey recessed porches. Vacant, 1901. Occupied, 1911. Pitched (gable-fronted) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves boards on box eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Rendered, ruled and lined walls to front (south)…


Graiguenamanagh Market House, Market Square, GRAIGUENAMANAGH, Graiguenamanagh, County Kilkenny

View full record

Attached five-bay two-storey Classical-style market house with attic, c.1800, originally detached with three-bay two-storey pedimented breakfront. Extensively renovated, pre-1973, with roof remodelled to accommodate commercial use. Extensively renovated, post-1973, with roof remodelled. Now in commercial use. Pitched slate roof (gabled to pediment) reconstructed, post-1973, with clay ridge tiles, cut-limestone chimney stacks, rooflights to rear (west)…


Inistioge Garda Siochana Station, KILCROSS, Inistioge, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached five-bay two-storey Garda Síochána station, built 1939, on a rectangular plan; five-bay two-storey rear (west) elevation. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond off-central chimney stack having shallow stringcourse below concrete capping supporting terracotta pots, sproketed eaves, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered box eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast walls…