County Kilkenny: WILLIAM ROBERTSON (1770-1850)

Unlike in many of the neighbouring counties, Kilkenny features the work of few renowned architects of the ilk of Sir Richard Morrison (1767-1849) or Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52). However, having won numerous commissions in the private, the public, and the ecclesiastical sectors the legacy of William Robertson (1770-1850) enriches the architectural heritage of the county.

John G. Hayes and Company, William Street, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Terraced four-bay two-storey over basement Diocesan Hall, c.1800, with elliptical-headed carriageway to right ground floor. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles having copper vent to apex, rendered chimney stack on axis with ridge, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings…


Kilkenny City Courthouse, Parliament Street, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Attached seven-bay double-height over projecting raised basement Classical-style courthouse, built 1792, originally detached incorporating fabric of earlier bridewell, 1566, to basement retaining fabric of medieval castle, 1210. Remodelled, 1828, with pedimented tetrastyle Tuscan frontispiece added to centre. Extended, 1855-6, comprising four-bay three-storey return to east. Renovated, pre-1977, with interior remodelled. Pitched slate roof (gabled to…


Noreside Educational Centre, John's Quay, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Semi-detached two-bay three-storey house, built 1832, with shared single-bay single-storey pedimented projecting open porch to left ground floor, and single-bay three-storey shallow return to east. Reroofed, c.1925. Refenestrated, pre-2001. Now in use as offices. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof part behind parapet (hipped to return; gabled (shared) to porch) with replacement artificial slate,…


Carers Association (The), John's Quay, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Semi-detached two-bay three-storey house, built 1832, with shared single-bay single-storey pedimented projecting open porch to right ground floor, and single-bay three-storey shallow return to east. Reroofed, c.1925. Now in use as offices. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof part behind parapet (hipped to return; gabled (shared) to porch) with replacement artificial slate, c.1925, clay…


Quay House, John's Quay, GARDENS (ST. CANICE PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached three-bay two-storey house, c.1825. Refenestrated, 1992. Roof not visible behind cornice parapet with cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered cornice to parapet. Square-headed window openings originally in bipartite arrangement (single arrangement to centre first floor) with painted cut-stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, 1992. Round-headed door opening with cut-limestone Gibbsian…


Kilkenny Castle, The Parade, DUKESMEADOWS (ST. PATRICK'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached eleven-bay three-, four- and five-storey castle, reconstructed 1826-37, on a U-shaped plan incorporating fabric of medieval castle, 1207-19, comprising nine-bay three-storey range to south-west with three-bay full-height pedimented breakfront, under construction 1709, single-bay four-stage flanking bastion to south-east on a circular plan (single-bay six-stage turret to courtyard elevation on a polygonal plan), single-bay five-stage…


Saint Kieran's College, College Road, WALKINSLOUGH, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Gateway, dated 1782, comprising Tudor-headed carriageway with tooled limestone ashlar piers having chamfered reveals, hood moulding over, iron double gates, cut-stone date stones/plaques, stringcourse supporting battlement parapet having octagonal corner finials with moulded capping, broken coursed cut-limestone flanking screen walls incorporating square-headed pedestrian gateway to left with cut-limestone surround having chamfered reveals, squared limestone voussoirs…


William Street, GARDENS (ST. JOHN'S PAR.), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached three-bay three-storey house, c.1800, with single-bay single-storey flat-roofed advanced open porch to centre ground floor, and two-bay two-storey lower wing to right on an L-shaped plan having single-bay two-storey projecting bay. Refenestrated, pre-1992, with some window openings to ground floor remodelled to accommodate shallow bow bay windows. Pitched roofs (on an L-shaped plan to…


Shankill Castle, SHANKILL, Paulstown or Whitehall (Shankill), County Kilkenny

View full record

(i) Gateway, c.1825, comprising elliptical-headed carriageway in limestone ashlar screen with wrought iron double gates, hood moulding over supporting limestone ashlar voussoirs, plaques having bas-relief detailing, battlemented parapet on stringcourse having consoles, battlemented engaged octagonal flanking pier, limestone ashlar flanking screen wall to left (west) (probably originally mirrored to right (east)) incorporating square-headed pedestrian gateway…


Shankill Castle, SHANKILL, Paulstown or Whitehall (Shankill), County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached five-bay two-storey Gothic-style house with dormer attic, c.1825, incorporating fabric of earlier house, 1713, comprising single-bay two-storey recessed bay having single-bay single-storey flat-roofed advanced glazed porch to ground floor, single-bay two-storey advanced flanking bays incorporating fabric of medieval tower house, c.1600, to left, single-bay two-storey recessed end bay to left, and single-bay two-storey crow…


Gowran Castle, Main Street, GOWRAN DEMESNE, Gowran, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached seven-bay (three-bay deep) two-storey over part raised basement country house, rebuilt 1816-9; dated 1818, on a rectangular plan centred on three-bay full-height pedimented breakfront with (single-storey) prostyle tetrastyle Doric portico to ground floor; five-bay full-height rear (south) elevation centred on three-bay full-height pedimented breakfront. Leased, 1901. Vacant, 1911. Sold, 1955. Resold, 1998. Disused, 2004.…


Jenkinstown House, JENKINSTOWN, County Kilkenny

View full record

Attached five-bay single-storey private (estate) Catholic chapel, c.1825, with single-bay two-stage entrance tower to centre on a square plan, and three-bay single-storey linking wing to north-east. In use as (parish) Catholic chapel, 1973. Decommissioned, 1983. Now disused. Pitched slate roof behind parapet (pitched slate roof to linking wing) with clay ridge tiles, cut-stone coping to…


Tinnypark House (Tennypark House), DERDIMUS, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached three-bay two-storey Classical-style house with dormer attic, reconstructed 1812, possibly over basement incorporating fabric of earlier house, 1774, with (single-storey) prostyle tetrastyle pedimented Tuscan portico to ground floor, and two-bay single-storey recessed lateral wings having single-bay single-storey gabled advanced bays. Undergoing extensive renovation, 2004-5. Hipped gabled roof (pitched to wings incorporating gabled sections to…


Paulstown Castle, PAULSTOWN, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached three-bay three-storey over raised basement country house, built 1828, on a rectangular plan with single-bay full-height side elevations; three-bay full-height rear (west) elevation. Sold, 1892. Occupied, 1901; 1911. Vacant, 1973. Now in ruins. Hipped slate roof behind parapet now missing, paired limestone ashlar central "wallhead" chimney stacks having stringcourses below capping, and concealed rainwater…


Woodstock House, INISTIOGE, Inistioge, County Kilkenny

View full record

Detached seven-bay three-storey over part-raised basement Classical-style country house, built 1745-7, with five-bay three-storey over part-raised basement Garden (south-west) Front. Extended, 1804-6, comprising five-bay single-storey recessed lateral wings with single-bay single-storey pedimented higher breakfronts. Burnt, 1922. Now in ruins. Hipped roof on a quadrangular plan behind parapet (hipped and pitched slate roofs to wings incorporating…