County Kildare: Railway stations

An extensive railway network was developed across Ireland over a period spanning the mid to late nineteenth century. In County Kildare, the railway lines supplemented transport routes such as the road network, developed in the eighteenth century, and the canal network, established at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Two primary railway lines served the county, linking large and small urban settlements with important trade centres, such as Dublin. The Mid Great Western Railway Line, opened in 1847, crossed the north of the county, linking Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock, and Carbury. The Great Southern and Western Railway line opened in 1846 and spanned the centre, east and west sides of the county. The primary route passed through Celbridge, Sallins, Newbridge, Kildare Town, and Monasterevin, while the line to the east incorporated stops at Naas and Harristown, and the line to the west of the county included Athy and Mageny. A number of railway lines were closed in the late twentieth century, although some were subsequently reopened as County Kildare prospered as a satellite settlement to the greater Dublin area - a station at Maynooth was closed in 1947, but was reopened in 1981. A collection of railway station buildings across the county, some still in use and some now accommodating an alternative purpose, survive as historic evidence of the coming of the railways to Kildare.

Athy Railway Station, Church Road, ATHY, Athy, County Kildare

View full record

Three-bay two-storey Victorian Tudor Gothic railway station, c. 1846, with single-bay single-storey gabled wings and projecting gabled porch. Cast-iron railings to platform front with cast-iron balustrades.


Sallins (and Naas) Railway Station, OSBERSTOWN, Sallins, County Kildare

View full record

Detached three-bay single-storey Tudor Gothic-style former railway station with half-dormer attic, opened 1846, on a symmetrical plan with single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch to centre, single-bay single-storey gabled recessed flanking end bays and single-bay single-storey canted bay window to ground floor platform (north-west) elevation. Now disused with openings blocked-up. Gable-ended roofs with slate (gabled to…


Monasterevin Railway Station (former), Canal Harbour, MONASTEREVIN, Monasterevin, County Kildare

View full record

Detached five-bay two-storey Gothic-style former railway station, opened 1849, on an irregular plan retaining early fenestration with single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch to left, single-bay single-storey projecting bay to centre and single-bay two-storey gabled projecting end bay to right. Closed, 1976. Now in residential use. Gable-ended roofs with slate (gabled to porch and to end…


Kildare Railway Station, Station Road, KILDARE, Kildare, County Kildare

View full record

Detached eight-bay single-storey Tudor Revival railway station with half-dormer attic, opened 1846, retaining early aspect comprising two-bay single-storey central block with single-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting porch to left, single-bay single-storey gabled advanced bay to right having single-bay single-storey canted bay window to ground floor (platform elevation to north-west: three-bay single-storey block with single-bay single-storey gabled…


Newbridge Railway Station, Station Road, PIERCETOWN, Newbridge, County Kildare

View full record

Attached six-bay single-storey yellow brick railway station, opened 1846, comprising two-bay single-storey central block with single-bay single-storey recessed flaking bay to right (north-east) having single-bay single-storey recessed entrance wing to right (north-east) with single-bay single-storey open cell to attic (sheltering stairwell), and two-bay single-storey recessed wing to left (south-west). Gable-ended roofs with slate. Clay ridge…


Maganey Railway Station (former), MAGANEY LOWER, Maganey, County Kildare

View full record

Detached three-bay single-storey Tudor-style former railway station with half-dormer attic, opened 1846, originally on a T-shaped plan with single-bay single-storey gabled advanced entrance bay to centre (platform elevation) and single-bay single-storey return with half-dormer attic to rear to west (entrance elevation) with single-bay single-storey canted projecting open porch. Closed, 1963. Renovated and extended, c.1970, comprising…