County Kildare: Curragh Camp

From 1870 to 1900, a grand-scale building project took place on the Curragh, as military barracks replaced a temporary camp of timber huts (c. 1855). The Barracks, now McDonagh Barracks (c. 1870), is one of four formally grouped identical red brick buildings dating from the earliest phase of the rebuilding. A hospital (c. 1885-6), together with reading and recreation rooms (c. 1886), continue the use of red brick with fine cut-stone and terracotta detailing. Typical of the Queen Anne Revival, which came to the fore in the 1880s, the hospital evokes a Classical composition with pedimented central bays echoed by projecting end pavilions. Red brick was the building material of choice for a range of buildings that completed the complex, including a range of artisan cottages and more grandiose military residences (all c. 1895), the latter incorporating tall Queen Anne Revival chimney stacks. The low, ground-hugging appearance of most buildings appeared to echo the horizontal nature of the surrounding Curragh plains, yet this flatness was relieved by a range of tower like structures that not only fulfilled a practical function but also added a welcome animation to the skyline. The four-stage red and yellow brick water tower (1894) incorporates a clock and is surmounted by a weather vane. The brick tower of the fire station (c. 1900) rises from a rusticated granite ground floor and appears to soar over its surroundings like an early Italian Renaissance tower house, an effect enhanced by the group of arched windows at the upper level.

Reading And Recreation Rooms, MacBride Road West, CURRAGH (KILDARE ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Detached seventeen-bay single- and two-storey yellow brick reading and recreation rooms, dated 1886, on a symmetrical plan comprising three-bay two-storey gable-fronted central block with two-bay two-storey flanking bays having cast-iron open veranda to east, three-bay single-storey gabled advanced bays and two-bay single-storey end bays. Part refenestrated, c.1995. Now disused. Hipped roofs with slate (gabled to…


The Hill, CURRAGH (KILDARE ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Group of four terraced three-bay two-storey red brick houses, c.1900, with single-bay single-storey gabled advanced entrance bays to centre having round-headed open internal porches and single-bay two-storey lower returns to rear to north. Reroofed and refenestrated, c.1990. Hipped roof (continuous) (gabled to entrance bays and to returns). Replacement artificial slate, c.1990. Concrete ridge tiles. Red…


Curragh Camp Post Office, CURRAGH (KILDARE ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Detached twelve-bay two-storey red brick post office, dated 1900, on a corner site retaining original aspect comprising four-bay two-storey elevation to west, single-bay two-storey chamfered entrance bay to south-west and seven-bay two-storey elevation to south having single-bay two-storey lean-to lower end bay to east. Hipped roof on an L-shaped plan (lean-to to end bay) with…


Curragh Camp Fire Station, CURRAGH (KILDARE ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Detached two-bay five-storey red brick fire station, dated 1900, on a square plan with single-bay two-storey flat-roofed end bay to right and single-bay six-storey corner (water) turret to north-east on a square plan. Roofs not visible behind red brick parapet wall. Cut-granite chimney stack to turret with horizontal banding. Rusticated cut-granite walls to ground floor.…


Saint Brigid's Catholic Church, CURRAGH (KILDARE ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Detached eight-bay double-height red brick Catholic church, built 1958, with pair of single-bay single-storey chapels to north and to south elevations on polygonal plans, gabled lantern over chancel to east gable end, single-bay double-height polygonal apse to east, full-height recessed entrance bay to west gable end and single-bay six-stage tower to south-east on a square…


CURRAGH (BALLYSAX EAST ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Freestanding single-bay four-stage red brick water tower, dated 1894, on a square-plan. Concave pyramidal roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Ball finial to apex with iron weather vane. Red brick walls. Moulded cut-stone stringcourses to each stage. Clock to upper stage with yellow brick surrounds. Round-headed openings (paired to third stage). Stone sills. Yellow brick…


Curragh Camp (Military) Hospital, CURRAGH (BALLYSAX EAST ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Detached nineteen-bay two-storey red brick military hospital entrance/main block, c.1885, on a symmetrical plan comprising five-bay two-storey pedimented advanced central block with door opening to first floor approached by perron flight of steps, four-bay two-storey recessed flanking lateral wings and three-bay two-storey pedimented advanced end bay pavilion blocks. Refenestrated, c.1995. Hipped roofs with slate (gabled…


McDonagh Barracks, CURRAGH (BALLYSAX EAST ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Group of four detached multiple-bay two-storey red brick buildings, c.1870, with open verandas to both storeys having freestanding two-bay two-storey blocks to front and single-bay two-storey stairway returns to rear. Reroofed, c.1980. Hipped roofs. Replacement artificial slate, c.1980. Concrete ridge tiles. Red brick chimney stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls. Red brick sill and…


CURRAGH (BALLYSAX EAST ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Gateway, c.1870, comprising four open work cast-iron piers with cast-iron double gates and flanking pedestrian gates having urn and trefoil motifs. One of a number of identical gateways - original and modern replica - throughout The Curragh Camp.


CURRAGH (BALLYSAX EAST ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Group of twenty-two terraced single-bay single-storey red brick houses with half-dormer attics, c.1895, most retaining original fenestration with single-bay single-storey lean-to projecting porches. Reroofed, c.1980. Some houses individually refenestrated, c.1990-c.2000. Some houses now disused and derelict. One of three parallel terraces of identical houses of varying numbers. Gable-ended continuous roof (gabled to dormer attic windows;…


K-Lines (The), CURRAGH (BALLYSAX EAST ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Detached five-bay single-storey corrugated-iron-clad chalet-style former internment block, c.1940, on an irregular cruciform plan with single-bay single-storey canted bay window. Now in residential use. One of a pair. Gable-ended roofs with corrugated-iron. Painted. Red brick chimney stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Corrugated-iron-clad walls (probably over timber frame construction). Painted. Square-headed window openings (including to canted bay…


Curragh Camp Nurses' Home, CURRAGH (BALLYSAX EAST ED), Curragh Camp, County Kildare

View full record

Attached five-bay two-storey nurses' home, c.1895, retaining early aspect with single-bay single-storey box bay window to left ground floor. Reroofed, c.1950. Hipped roof (shared). Replacement artificial slate, c.1950. Clay ridge tiles. Red brick chimney stacks. Overhanging timber eaves. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick English bond walls to ground floor. Moulded red brick stringcourse to first…