County Kildare: Ballitore Quaker Village

Not all eighteenth-century towns and villages were planned formally. Some followed the street patterns of existing settlements, while others were created by small religious communities, most notably the Quaker community at Ballitore to the south of county Kildare. Abraham Shackleton (n.d.), from Yorkshire, a member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), founded a school in the area. While the school has since been demolished, a surviving rubble and red brick arch (1726) marks the original entrance to its boundary wall. A Meeting House (c. 1770) was built to the south of the village, L-shape in plan with rubble stone walls, originally rendered, and openings with granite sills and red brick dressings. Bounded by a high rubble stone wall with an arched gate, it remains a valuable architectural asset in the village. The community also opened a burial ground (c. 1745) on the old Carlow Road that contains simple headstones and is bounded by a rubble stone wall. As the century progressed, further building contributed to a more unified streetscape and reflected the increasing prosperity of Ballitore. The Market House (c. 1770) was erected on the square, apparently undergoing a subsequent change of use as evidenced by the alteration of its openings, and eventually embraced by ranges of buildings (c. 1800). Two modestly proportioned, three-bay houses (c. 1770) had already been built across the road while a terrace of five three-storey houses (c. 1780) was built between the Meeting House and the Square. The unrefined quality of these buildings indicates that they were not professionally designed or built for speculative purposes like those at Celbridge or Maynooth. While of neat appearance they are not as detailed, or grand, as houses in the larger estate towns.

Ballitore Market House (former), BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Detached four-bay two-storey rubble stone former market house, c.1780. Renovated, c.1840, with openings remodelled. Now in ruins. Roof now gone (originally gable-ended). Rendered chimney stack. Cut-stone course to eaves. Random rubble stone walls with traces of render over. Square-headed openings (some slit-style to first floor rear elevation to north) remodelled, c.1840. Rendered sills. Rendered surrounds…


Ballitore Quaker School (former), BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Gateway, c.1725, originally built as gateway in boundary wall to school comprising pair of rubble stone piers with elliptical-headed opening over having red brick dressings. Boundary wall truncated, c.1985, to plinth level and mostly reconstructed.


Crookstown Corn Mill (former), CROOKSTOWN LOWER, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Detached three-bay three-storey rubble stone corn mill with attic, c.1840, originally with single-bay two-storey end bay to north-east and with original cast-iron waterwheel to side elevation to south-west. Extended, c.1880, comprising three-bay three-storey lower wing to left (north) incorporating original end bay. Extended, c.1880, comprising four-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting bay along front elevation to north-west.…


E. Butterfield, BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Terraced three-bay two-storey house, c.1800, retaining early fenestration. Renovated, c.1900, with door opening remodelled having timber fascia and decorative panel over to accommodate commercial use. Now disused. One of a pair (and possibly originally one of a group of four). Gable-ended roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stack. Replacement aluminium rainwater goods, c.1970.…


BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Terraced five-bay two-storey house, c.1800, probably originally two separate three-bay houses. Extensively renovated and amalgamated, c.1990, with square-headed integral garage inserted to left ground floor. Possibly originally two of a group of four. Gable-ended roof. Replacement artificial slate, c.1990. Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stack. Replacement timber eaves, c.1990. Replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990. Replacement…


BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

End-of-terrace five-bay two-storey house with half-dormer attic, c.1800. Renovated, c.1920, with single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch added to centre and possibly with openings to right (east) blocked-up. Refenestrated, c.1980. Gable-ended roof with slate (gabled to porch). Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stack. Rendered coping to gables. Timber eaves with consoles (timber bargeboards to porch). Cast-iron…


Mary Leadbeater House, BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Detached four-bay two-storey house, c.1790, on a corner site on a U-shaped plan with single-bay two-storey side elevation to west and five-bay two-storey return to rear to north (possibly incorporating separate three-bay two-storey house to north) with single-bay single-storey projecting bay with dormer attic to north-east. Subsequently in use as post office. Extensively renovated, 1999.…


Ballitore House, BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Gateway, c.1820, comprising pair of cut-stone piers with cut-stone capping having wrought iron double gates with finials and rubble stone curved flanking walls having remains of square-headed pedestrian gateway to wall to south, and render dressings to wall to north. Now disused.


Ballitore Quaker Burial Ground, BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Quaker burial ground with various cut-stone grave markers, c.1745-present. Rubble stone boundary wall, c.1745, to site with square-headed pedestrian gateway. Gateway, c.1745, to north comprising pair of cut-stone monolithic piers with wrought iron double gates.


BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Terraced three-bay two-storey house, c.1770, retaining early fenestration. Gable-ended roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast walls. Painted. Cut-stone plaque, 1998. Square-headed openings. Stone sills. 6/6 timber sash windows to ground floor. 2/2 timber sash windows to first floor. Timber panelled door. Overlight. Road fronted. Tarmacadam footpath to front.


Balitore Shaker Store, BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, c.1770, on a corner site retaining early fenestration with single-bay two-storey side elevation to west. Reroofed and renovated, c.1940, with some openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use. Gable-ended roof. Replacement corrugated-iron, c.1940. Concrete ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Rendered coping to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast walls. Painted.…


Ballitore House, BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Detached five-bay two-storey double-pile house, c.1850, possibly over basement on a symmetrical plan incorporating fabric of earlier house, c.1700, with single-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting porch to centre having single-bay single-storey flanking canted bay windows. Burnt, c.1920. Extensively renovated, post-1925. Now disused and derelict. Gable-ended double-pile (M-profile) roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks.…


Ballitore Quaker Meeting House (former), BALLITORE, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Detached two-bay single-storey rubble stone former Quaker meeting house with half-attic, c.1770, on an L-shaped plan with single-bay two-storey projecting end bay to right (north-east) having round-headed door opening. Extensively renovated, 1975, to accommodate use as library and museum. Gable-ended roof on an L-shaped plan with slate (lower pitch to projecting bay to north-east with…


Ballitore Mills (former), MULLAMAST, Ballitore, County Kildare

View full record

Detached nine-bay four- and six-storey double-pile rubble stone former mill, dated 1834, comprising seven-bay four-storey main block with two-bay six-storey end bay to right (west) having battlemented roof parapet wall and single-bay four-storey return to rear to south. Now in ruins and partly collapsed. Roof now gone (probably originally hipped or gable-ended double-pile (M-profile) with…