Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1720 - 1760


315703, 233702

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1740. Now in commercial retail use, with recent shopfront. Pitched roof, hipped to front (south), concealed behind brick parapet with painted masonry coping, and with parapet gutters with cast-iron hoppers and downpipes breaking through to each side of front facade. Painted brick walling laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings with painted granite sills, patent reveals, painted masonry lintels and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Single-storey flat-roof extension to rear. Forms part of group of similarly styled and dated buildings.


No. 38 is thought to have mid-eighteenth-century origins, and the roof line that runs perpendicular to the street indicates that this may have been a Dutch Billy house, with the parapet later reconfigured. The original character has been eroded in recent decades with the insertion of a modern shopfront to ground floor and replacement sash windows. Despite these successive changes, the building retains the Georgian domestic plot size and massing, and as part of a stretch of similarly dated buildings, it continues to make a contribution to the varied character of this historic streetscape.