Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Rathdown Terrace

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1880 - 1900


314469, 235627

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey two-pile house over raised basement, built c. 1890 as one of terrace of fourteen, having full-height return to rear (south) elevation. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to west end of rear pile, with red brick chimneystacks having clay pots to east and west ends and to return, profiled metal gutter supported on corbelled yellow brick eaves course, and replacement uPVC downpipe to east end. Red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, with yellow brick stringcourse over granite plinth course with snecked limestone walls to basement; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with granites sills, having red brick block-and-start surround to basement, and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-headed principal doorway, having carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters having scrolled brackets, supporting timber frieze and plain fanlight, with carved timber panelled door; square-headed doorway to basement, with red brick block-and-start surround and replacement uPVC door. Flight of ten nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to west, with wrought-iron handrail on granite plinth to east side and having cast-iron uprights. Garden to front, bounded by decorative cast-iron railings on cut granite plinth, having decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate with one ornate pier surviving.


This well-built house is part of a terrace of fourteen late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The combination of snecked limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. The impressive steps and the intact setting details considerable enhance the site. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century with little development west of Phibsborough till the 1870s.