Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof having clay ridge tiles partly concealed behind brown brick parapet with cut granite coping, and rendered chimneystacks with clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, having cut granite plinth course, and pebbledashed rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills having six-over-six pane and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows, retaining some timber panelled shutters, and single pane casement window. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded render surround, panelled pilasters and moulded console brackets having acanthus leaf detail, supporting stepped cornice. Petal fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite platform and steps with replacement railings. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall terminating in recent piers.
This house retains a strong sense of its original character with the retention of historic features including windows and Greek revival doorcase. It forms part of a terrace of houses with a uniform parapet height and fenestration, creating a pleasing rhythm to the streetscape. Heytesbury Street, was named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, and was first laid out in 1846. The street was nearing completion by 1861, with the architects John Louch & Sons offering the last sites for sale 1854-1860. It is possible that Louch, or one of his five sons, was involved in the design of this house.