Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1875 - 1895


315437, 232666

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1885, having return to rear (east) elevation and canted-bay window to front (west) elevation. Part of terrace of nine. Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof, with brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, having masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square- and segmental-headed window openings with masonry sills. canted-bay window, having hipped felted roof, carved timber cornice, sill and timber panelled apron. Two-over-two pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Round-headed door opening with carved timber doorcase comprising pilasters, brackets and stepped cornice. Plain fanlight and timber panelled door. Shared rendered platform and steps having cast-iron bootscrape, decorative handrail and post. Coal hole cover to tiled path. Cast-iron gate with decorative cast-iron collars and matching railings on cut granite plinth wall.


This building retains much of its original form, and is characteristic of suburban residential development at the close of the nineteenth century. Skilled artisanship is evident in the quality of surviving cast-ironwork. The railings and pedestrian gate which bound the front garden area provides a sense of enclosure marking out the private space associated with the house. Stamer Street was named for William Stamer, Lord Mayor of Dublin from 1809-1819. The closure of Portobello Gardens in 1865 and the later infilling of the Portobello Basin freed up residential development land in the area. The east side of the street comprises a relatively unified terrace with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The artist, Harry Kernoff, who lived at the house, is commemorated in a plaque to the front elevation.