Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1836 as one of terrace of ten (Nos. 1-10), having three-storey return to east end of rear with pitched roof. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, rear span slightly higher than front and hipped to east end, with terracotta ridge tiles, brick parapet with granite coping, shouldered brown brick chimneystacks to west partially rebuilt and having concrete coping, and with concealed rainwater goods. Flemish bond brown brick walling on painted granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Rendered walling to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns to ground floor and above, and early twentieth-century metal-framed multiple-pane casements to basement. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Apparently timber sash windows to rear with varied two-over-two pane and six-over-six pane arrangements. Round-headed doorway with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase having engaged fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, plain fanlight and four-panel bolection-moulded timber door with brass furniture. Shared sandstone-paved entrance platform with two flights of granite steps, flanked by decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth. Spear-headed cast-iron railings over painted granite plinth to front boundary; pedestrian gate removed but round-headed openwork cast-iron piers remaining. carparking and modernized two-storey mews building to rear of plot on Stephen's Lane.
A Georgian-style house, forming part of a cohesive terrace, Nos. 1-10 Mount Street Crescent. Although modest in scale, compared with the adjoining houses on Mount Street Upper, the group features high basements with ground floors accessed via long flights of granite steps. The front elevations exhibit well-balanced proportions typical of the period and are enlivened by Greek Doric doorcases, pretty fanlights and decorative ironwork. The street-line is stepped to the west at No. 1, effectively marking the junction between Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Crescent. The terrace was completed in 1836-7, with eight of the houses constructed by a barrister, Joseph Gabbett, and the remaining two by Daniel Litton and a Mr Hutton. Largely well-retained, the terraced group is set back from the street-line to provide an oval-shaped space within which stands St. Stephen's Church, a building that dominates the streetscape and creates an interesting centrepiece terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.