Categories of Special Interest
1870 - 1890
Attached three-bay two-storey warehouse, built c.1880, with central integral carriage. Hipped slate roof with red brick eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond with red brick quoins to front (east) elevation. Rubble limestone wall to south elevation. Segmental-headed window opening with red brick block-and-start surrounds. Moulded red brick sills to ground floor and flush granite sills to first floor. Central bulls eye window with red brick surround to first floor. Segmental-headed carriage opening with red brick block-and-start surround with metal roller doors. Cobbles to front.
This former warehouse is a well-built example of the small-scale industrial units that would have lined Blackpitts but are becoming rarer as the area is redeveloped. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries Blackpitts was characterised by buildings associated with brewing, distilling, milling and dairying. Retaining much of its historic fabric and features, it makes an eye catching and colourful contribution to the streetscape.