Categories of Special Interest
1900 - 1940
Terraced three-bay five-storey commercial store, built c.1920. Flat roof behind gambrel shaped gable. Roof material not visible. Replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Ruled-and-lined cement rendered walling, painted to ground floor. Square-headed window openings to all but fourth floor, which has round-headed outer windows. Openings are vertically aligned, each bay separated from first floor by plain projecting piers, forming segmental-headed recess to central bay. Timber side-hung casement windows. Ground floor openings comprise entrance doors to either side, with two windows aligned vertically to centre, all infilled with concrete block, with iron grilles over windows, and steel outer security doors. Fronts directly onto cobbled street.
Although many original buildings on North Lotts have been replaced, the street retains a sense of historic enclosure.This building terminates an important group of nineteenth-century stores associated with Victorian commerce and industry, but is considerably later and, at five storeys high, towers above its lower Victorian neighbours. It enhances the industrial and commercial character of the street and is further enhanced by retention of an original cobbled surface to the street.