Categories of Special Interest
1850 - 1870
Terraced three-bay two-storey store over basement, built c.1860. Roof appears to be flat, concealed by brick parapet with granite coping. Two cast-iron down pipes. Yellow brick laid in English bond. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, brick flat arches and timber two-over-two pane sliding sashes with horns to first and second floor, iron grilles to first floor. Ground floor windows diminished in height and boarded, one with iron grille. Shuttered double-height loading door between first and ground floor openings. Fronts directly onto cobbled street.
Although many original buildings on North Lotts have been replaced, the street retains a sense of historic enclosure. This building is part of a group of nineteenth-century stores associated with Victorian commerce and industry, and are important remnants of the type of building that once dominated the street. Retaining an original aspect, despite some incremental changes, it enhances the historic character of the street, and is further enhanced by the retention of an original cobbled street surface.