In Use As
1850 - 1870
Terraced two-bay three-storey store, built c.1860. Roof concealed by brick parapet with granite coping over red brick cornice. Yellow brick walling laid in English bond, cornice over ground floor, and string course between upper floors. Square-headed window openings to upper floors, with granite sills, sandstone lintels, and with replacement uPVC windows throughout. Series of square-headed ground floor openings comprising double-height shuttered workshop entrance to west side, and group of three mullioned over-lights. To east is original multiple-pane transomed and mullioned window over concrete infill stall-riser. All ground floor openings painted over. Plain fascia spans ground floor openings. Fronts directly onto cobbled street.
Although many original buildings on North Lotts have been replaced, the street retains a sense of historic enclosure. This building is part of a group of nineteenth-century stores associated with Victorian commerce and industry, and are important remnants of the type of building that once dominated the street. Retaining an original aspect, despite some incremental changes, it enhances the historic character of the street, and is further enhanced by the retention of an original cobbled street surface.