Categories of Special Interest
New York Cleaners
1860 - 1880
Terraced three-bay two-storey store, built c.1870. Now vacant. Roof concealed by brick parapet with granite coping. Concealed rainwater goods. Yellow brick walling laid in English bond, plain piers to either side create slightly recessed facade. Truncated red brick floating cornice spanning first floor window openings over recess. Additional cornice over fascia between ground and first floors. Square-headed window openings to first floor, with brick jambs, flat-arch lintels, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Double-height ground floor openings comprising, to east side, large multiple-pane window with granite sill, louvered vents to upper portions and recessed apron to ground level. To west side is large shuttered opening, with over-light flanked by louvered vents. Set directly onto cobbled street.
Although many original buildings on North Lotts have been replaced, the street retains a sense of historic enclosure. The street served as the service area for the buildings on the Quays and Abbey Street. It forms part of a group of industrial buildings, retaining an original industrial appearance, enlivened by simple devices such as plain piers creating a central recess, and brick cornicing. It provides important historical context on this street, which is enhanced by the retention of an original cobbled surface.