Survey Data

Reg No

50060529


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Restaurant


Date

1915 - 1925


Coordinates

315994, 234546


Date Recorded

27/07/2014


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced single-bay four-storey commercial building, built c.1920, with replacement timber shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof concealed behind brick parapet, with granite coping and concealed rainwater goods. Red brick cladding over frame construction to upper floors over shopfront laid in stretcher bond. Advanced ashlar granite banded pilaster strips to either side with geometric motif to top, supporting ashlar granite cornice; ashlar granite banding either side of sill level at each floor. Three-storey curtain walling panel comprises square-headed timber-framed transomed and mullioned casement window (with advanced central bay) to each floor, each with rendered apron panel embellished with swags and wreaths. Original ashlar granite pilasters with fluted console brackets to shopfront.

Appraisal

One of two early twentieth-century commercial buildings located near the junction of O'Connell Street and Abbey Street, attributed to G.L.O'Connor. It dates from the period of rebuilding following the 1916 Rising and is a good example of early frame construction, enabling the distinctive window to wall ratio that characterises the group. There is good detailing to the cornice and pilasters and the swag and wreath details add decorative interest.