Survey Data

Reg No

50020030


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social


Previous Name

Royal Exchange Dublin


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1820 - 1860


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

28/02/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay five-storey former house, built c.1840, having shopfront to front (west) elevation. Now in commercial use, with apartments to upper floors. Recent single-pitched roof to front hidden behind smooth rendered parapet having cornice, platband and cut granite coping. Flat roof to rear (east) elevation. Lined-and-ruled rendered wall to front with moulded render signage to second floor. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to rear. Segmental-headed window openings having chamfered masonry surrounds with keystones, bull-nosed reveals to ground floor windows, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear, with granite sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Rendered shopfront with pilasters having recent console brackets and fascia. Recent metal security shutters. Situated on east side and north end of Parliament Street.

Appraisal

Parliament Street is the first example of formal axial planning in mid-eighteenth-century Dublin. George Semple designed the rebuilding of Essex Bridge (1753-55) and his plan showed a new wide street linking the bridge to Dublin Castle; this plan for Parliament Street was implemented by the Wide Street Commissioners in 1762. Many of the buildings, including this one, were altered and rebuilt in the nineteenth century. Thom's Directory of 1862 lists this as in use as a boot and shoe makers. At the end of the century the upper floors became part of the Royal Exchange Hotel along with the neighbouring buildings. Alterations were carried out to the hotel in 1917 by architect Anthony Scott and in 1926 by architect Peter Francis Russell. The upper floors share characteristics with the neighbouring buildings, resulting in a coherent upper facade for the hotel. The render embellishments of the upper floor openings, a feature which became fashionable in the nineteenth century, articulate and enliven the fa├žade. Historic fabric including the timber sash windows add to its character