Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Corner-sited terraced four-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, formerly probably two houses, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. Single-span pitched roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and plastic rainwater goods breaking through to east end. Large shared stepped brick chimneystack to east end, abutting adjoining house on North Circular Road, with clay pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt in machine-made red brick to top floor. Granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills, flush rendered reveals and replacement uPVC windows. Blind windows to easternmost bay with cement render. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and original petal fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper and three granite steps bridging basement area, enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts. Basement area also enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron posts on moulded granite plinth wall, opened to east end with concrete steps giving basement access.
This house terminates the east end of the terrace on Charles Street Great as it joins the terrace on the North Circular Road. An interesting solution to the problem of joining two such terraces was provided with the use of blind bays to create a regular façade. The building retains its original doorcase and ironmongery. As a corner building stitching two streetscapes together, the house is of some technical as well as architectural interest and greatly contributes to the appearance of both important streetscapes. the retention of its Ionic doorcase and fanlight, and of the railings and steps contributes to the impression of relative intactness. the building is likely to have formerly been two houses. Charles Street Great was one of the eight streets radiating from Gardiner's Mountjoy Square, connecting it to the North Circular Road.