Categories of Special Interest
1780 - 1840
Collection of now ruinous and dilapidated single-storey outbuildings associated with Camlin Castle (now demolished), built c. 1800 and c. 1840, partially arranged around a courtyard to the east of the site of the house. Now out of use/in use as agricultural outbuildings. Roofs now collapsed, originally probably hipped natural slate roofs. Remains of cut stone eaves course to some structures. Rubble stone construction having roughly squared flush quoins to the corners; evidence of roughcast render surviving in places. Square-headed window openings with remains of stone sills. Remains of square-headed doorways. Segmental-headed carriage-arches having red brick voussoirs and roughly dressed stone surrounds. Remains of former walled garden to the east (on complex plan having bowed ends to the north and south), built pre-1836, having rubble stone walls with surviving sections of roughcast render over, and lined internally with red brick (English garden bond) to the north end. Pointed-arch former doorways to walled garden having red brick voussoirs or roughly squared cut stone voussoirs. Freestanding former Summerhouse (on circular-plan) to centre of walled garden, now partially collapsed, having cut stone eaves course, rubble stone walls, and pointed-arched openings with flush red brick voussoirs and block-and-start surrounds. Foundations of Camlin Castle survive to the west of outbuildings. Foundations of former glasshouses to site. Located in extensive grounds to the east of Ballyshannon with mature trees to site. Modern lake to the north and the east.
These now dilapidated and altered outbuildings were originally built to serve Camlin Castle, now demolished, and now act as a simple reminder of this formerly impressive house and estate. More interesting is the remains of the walled garden to the east, which has unusual bowed elevations to both the north and south elevations that creates a more complex and formal plan than is usually found at structures of its type. The impressive scale of this walled garden provides an interesting insight into the extensive resources required to run and maintain a large country estate in Ireland during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries when it would have been used to produce a wide variety of produce for house on the estate. The remains of the former Summerhouse adds additional interest and was originally built to provide a place to rest and view the gardens during walks around the grounds etc. This walled garden predates the extensive alterations and additions that were carried out on Camlin Castle to designs by the eminent architect John Benjamin Keane (died 1859) c. 1838 for the then owner of the estate, a John A Tredennick. The Tredennick family lived at Camlin Castle from c. 1718 when a William Tredennick obtained the lease of Camlin from William 'Speaker' Conolly who had purchased the estates of Lord Folliott in and around Ballyshannon area. The Tredennick family had another seat at nearby Fortwilliam (see 40910774). The estate was sold to the Land Commission c. 1900; the last member of the family to reside at Camlin was a Charles Joseph Haydon Tredennick up until 1929. Camlin Castle itself was sadly - and erroneously - later demolished as part of Erne Hydro-Electric Scheme in the 1940s/50s, when it was thought that the house would be submerged by new lake. However, the water level of this lake did not reach the site of the building so it could have been saved, and it represents a sad loss to the architectural heritage of the local area. These structures form part of a group of sites related with the former Camlin Castle estate along with the fine castellated gate lodge (see 40910748) to the south-west, and is a modest addition to the built heritage of the local area. The surviving mature trees to site adds to the setting and context.