Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical

Original Use


Historical Use

Garda station/constabulary barracks

In Use As



1820 - 1900


187864, 361550

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey house with half-dormer attic storey, built c. 1830 and altered c. 1890, having two-storey return to the centre of the rear elevation (south). Possibly formerly in use as a Royal Irish Constabulary barracks c. 1900 (Ordnance Survey twenty-five inch map). Now in use as a private house with modern extension to the south-east. Pitched natural slate roof with smooth rendered ruled-and-lined chimneystacks to gable ends having stepped coping over. Some remaining cast-iron rainwater goods. Pitched natural slate roofs to dormers (three to front/north pitch of roof and two to rear/south pitch) having moulded timber bargeboards. One timber finial remaining to dormer to west end of front elevation. Moulded timber bargeboards to rear extension. Smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls with block-and-start quoins to the corners of the front elevation. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, replacement windows and having rendered hoodmouldings over. Round-headed window opening to south elevation of return. Central square-headed door opening having timber panelled door glazed surround with replacement glass, and having render hoodmoulding over. Plinth blocks to base of door. Road-fronted to the north-east of Ballyshannon town centre. Modern wall to the east having square-headed with modern metal gates.


This typical terraced building retains much of its early character and form. However, the loss of the early fittings to the openings detracts somewhat from its integrity. The dormer openings are unusual in Ballyshannon, adding variety to the streetscape. These dormer openings may be a later addition, perhaps added during the late-nineteenth-century. This building appears to be indicated as a 'constabulary barracks' on the Ordnance Survey twenty-five inch map sheet c. 1900, and a 'constabulary barracks' is recorded on College Street in 1894 (Slater's Directory) where a Robert C Flowers was the District Inspector and Thomas Hunter the Head Constable. This building is a modest addition to the built heritage and social history of Ballyshannon.