Categories of Special Interest
1895 - 1900
Detached former community or parochial hall, dated 1898, having later single-bay single-storey gable-front entrance porch attached to the north gable end and single-bay single-storey flat-roofed entrance porch attached to the west elevation. Later in use as a dance hall and then as a pool hall. Now roofless, derelict and overgrown with vegetation. Cement rendered ruled-and-line finish to the north elevation and to porches; render removed to the west elevation exposing squared rubble stone construction. Imitation rock-faced quoins with smooth margins to north-west corner and to porch to north. Square-headed window openings with red brick reveals/surrounds visible to exposed west elevation. Window fittings now gone. Blind roundel opening to north gable end. Square-headed door opening to porch to west having timber battened door. Set back from road in overgrown grounds to the north-east of Ballyshannon town centre, and a short distance to the east of St. Patrick's Catholic church (40852044). Bounded to the north by rubble stone boundary wall and metal gates.
Despite its now derelict and roofless condition, this simple utilitarian former hall is a modest addition to the social history of Ballyshannon. It was originally built in 1898 to commemorate the centenary of the 1798 Rebellion, hence the name 'The '98 Hall'. This building played an important role in local community life as a hall, and later as a dance hall and then a pool hall until it was abandoned in the 1960s.