Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced three-bay two-storey house, built c. 1820, having shopfront c. 1950 attached to the east end of the main elevation (south-east). Pitched natural slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, two smooth rendered chimneystacks, two metal roof lights, and having cast-iron down-pipe. Smooth rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth course. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and one-over-one horned pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window opening to the west end of the main elevation (south) having tripartite arrangement with central one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows flanked by fixed-pan sidelights. Square-headed doorway to the central bay having plinth blocks to base, replacement timber door and replacement overlight. Shopfront to the east end of the main elevation having recessed square-headed doorway flanked to either side by fixed-pane display windows with chrome fittings, and having remains of Vitrolite shopfront with timber over panels. Road-fronted to the centre of Killybegs.
This building, of mid-nineteenth century appearance, retains much of its early character and form. Its visual expression and architectural integrity is enhanced by the retention of much of the salient fabric, including natural slate roof and timber sliding sash windows. The tripartite timber sliding sash window is an unusual feature that adds interest to the front elevation. The original building is of a type that was, until recently, a ubiquitous feature of small Irish towns and villages but is now becoming increasingly rare due to demolition and insensitive alteration. The mid-twentieth century shopfront, although now altered, is a rare surviving example of a black Vitrolite shopfront with chrome trim in County Donegal, and adds to this building and to the variety in the streetscape to the centre of Killybegs.