1900 - 1910
Detached four-bay single-storey former railway station, built c. 1909, having lean-to extension to south-east and veranda to north-east. Later in use as a post office and later as kennels. Now no longer in use. Pitched natural purple slate roof having decorative terracotta ridge tiles\comb, rendered eaves course, remains of cast-iron rainwater goods, and with blockwork(?) chimneystack having cornice coping. Mono-pitch corrugated-metal roof to extension having decorative timber bargeboard. Smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls over projecting smooth rendered plinth course, and with raised smooth rendered quoins to the corners. Roughcast rendered walls to extension. Segmental-headed window openings having smooth rendered block-and-start surrounds, painted concrete sills, and remains of timber fittings and with later additions; windows now mostly blocked, originally timber sliding sash. Set back from road in own grounds to the east of the centre of Lifford close to the north bank of the River Foyle. Former railway line ran to the east side of building. Single-storey outbuilding to the west having corrugated-metal roof and walls, possibly formerly in use as a customs hut. Rubble stone retaining wall to west.
Although now disused and dilapidated, this simple former railway station master’s is an interesting feature in the streetscape to the east of the centre of Lifford. Its visual expression and integrity is enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as the natural slate roof. Modest decorative interest is added by the decorative terracotta ridge tiles, smooth rendered surrounds to the openings, and by the smooth rendered quoins to the corners. This detailing is similar to other related buildings along this former railway line, including a number of buildings at Ballindrait to the north-west; Victorian and Edwardian railway companies often built structures to standardised plans. This railway station was originally opened on the 1st of January 1909 as part of the Strabane and Letterkenny Railway line, which was developed by the Strabane and Letterkenny Railway Company and run by the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee. It is one of a number of former railway stations that still survive along this line, which closed on the 1st of January 1960. This railway line had the 3ft narrow gauge that was extensively used throughout Donegal. This former railway station now acts as an interesting historical reminder of the formerly extensive railway network in County Donegal, and is a modest element of the built heritage of the local area and of the wider transport heritage of the county. It was later in use as a post office and apparently later as kennels. Sensitively restored, this building would make a positive contribution to the streetscape of Lifford. The single-storey corrugated-metal building to the west may have been formerly in use as a customs hut was this was the first\last station along this railway line adjacent to the border with Northern Ireland, and it resembles other former customs posts along the border in Donegal.