1900 - 1920
Detached two-bay single-storey with attic level former railway level crossing keeper’s\guard’s house, built c. 1909, having projecting single-storey entrance porch to north-west elevation and two-bay single-storey extension to east. Later in use as a house, now disused. Pitched natural slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, overhanging eaves with timber painted fascia and soffit, remains of cast-iron rainwater goods, and with smooth rendered chimneystack with rendered coping and clay-ware pots. Pitched natural slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles to projecting porch. Smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls with raised smooth rendered block-and-start quoins to corners. Segmental-headed window openings to ground floor with raised smooth rendered block-and-start surrounds, concrete sills, and remains of timber windows. Square-headed window openings to east and west gables at first floor first floor level having painted concrete sill, and replacement timber casement windows. Segmental-headed door opening to porch with timber panelled entrance door and overlight. Set in overgrown site adjacent to road junction with wire boundary fencing, mature trees to east and located to north-west of Ballindrait village. Former Strabane and Letterkenny Railway line adjacent to the east.
Although now disused and derelict, this simple former railway crossing guard’s house, is an interesting feature in the rural landscape to the north of Ballindrait. Its visual expression and integrity is enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as the natural slate roof. Modest decorative interest is added by the decorative terracotta ridge tiles, smooth rendered surrounds to the ground floor openings, and by the smooth rendered quoins to the corners. It is similar in style and form to the former station master’s house (see 40834011) at the former Ballindrait railway station (station demolished) to the south-east; it was common for railway companies to build structures to standardised plans. It was originally built to service a level crossing on the former Strabane and Letterkenny railway line which opened on the 1st of January 1909. This line was developed by the Strabane and Letterkenny Railway Company and run by the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee. It is one of a number of former railway structures that still survive along this line, which closed on the 1st of January 1960. This railway line had the 3ft narrow gauge that was extensively used throughout Donegal. The former railway line is located adjacent to the east of this building but is now heavily overgrown. This former railway structure now acts as an interesting historical reminder of the formerly extensive railway network in County Donegal, and is a modest element of the built heritage of the local area and of the wider transport heritage of the county. It forms a group of related structures at Ballindrait along with the buildings at the former railway station (see 40834011 and 40834017) at the former station.