Station master's house
1905 - 1910
Detached three-bay two-storey former station master’s house associated with the former Ballindrait railway station (now demolished), built c. 1909, having single-bay single-storey gable-fronted entrance porch to the centre of the front elevation (south), half-dormer window opening to the south elevation, and with later single-storey addition to the east gable end. Later in use as a house. Now disused. Pitched natural slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles\combing, overhanging eaves having timber bargeboard and fascia, remains of cast-iron rainwater goods, and with smooth rendered chimneystack to the west gable end with cornice coping and clay-ware pots over. No roof to eastern extension with chamfered coping forming parapet. Smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walls with smooth rendered block-and-start quoins to the corners. Segmental-headed window openings at ground floor level having smooth rendered block-and-start surrounds, painted concrete sills, and remains of timber fittings; windows now blocked. Square-headed window opening to half-dormer opening; now blocked. Square-headed window openings to the side elevations at first floor level having smooth rendered block-and-start surrounds, painted concrete sills, and remains of timber fittings; windows now blocked. Square-headed door opening to porch having battened timber and overlight. Set back from road in own grounds to the east\north-east of Ballindrait, and to the north of former railway line. Former railway goods shed (see 40834017) to the west. Former railway station now demolished (possibly replaced by modern house to the west. Detached three-bay single-storey former railway building to the west having pitched corrugated metal roof, blockwork walls, and square-headed openings (fittings now gone).
Although now disused, this simple and well-built former railway station master’s house is an interesting feature in the rural landscape to the east of Ballindrait. Its visual expression and integrity is enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as the natural slate roof. Modest decorative interest is added by the decorative terracotta ridge tiles, smooth rendered surrounds to the ground floor openings, and by the smooth rendered quoins to the corners. The house is almost vernacular in character, and is similar in form and appearance to the former railway level crossing keeper’s house (see 40834014) that lies to the north-west of the site having the gabled porch, rendered quoins and segmental-headed openings. It was originally built as the station master’s house associated with the former Ballindrait railway station, which lay adjacent to the west but is now demolished. This railway station was originally opened on the 1st of January 1909 as part of the Strabane and Letterkenny Railway line, which was developed by the Strabane and Letterkenny Railway Company and run by the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee. It is one of a number of former railway stations that still survive along this line, which closed on the 1st of January 1960. This railway line had the 3ft narrow gauge that was extensively used throughout Donegal. This former railway stationmaster’s house now acts as an interesting historical reminder of the formerly extensive railway network in County Donegal, and is a modest element of the built heritage of the local area and of the wider transport heritage of the county. The substantial former railway goods shed (see 40834017) to the west and the modest ancillary structure further to the west add to the setting and context. Sensitively restored, this building would make a positive contribution to the landscape to the east of Ballindrait.