Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1910
Single-arch railway bridge, built c. 1909, carrying road over the former Strabane to Letterkenny narrow gauge railway line. Railway line out of use with tracks removed (from 1960). Parapet to the west now removed. Central square-headed steel section supported on metal girders to the east parapet with adjoining sections of rubble stone wall to either side having cut stone coping over, and with projecting cut stone stringcourse at road level to the east elevation; parapet terminated to either side by rubble stone piers (on square-plan) having pyramidal cut stone capstones over. Tarmacadam deck. Located a short distance to the north-west of the centre of Convoy.
This simple but appealing former railway bridge retains some of its original form and character despite the closure of the line in 1960 and the subsequent removal of the parapet to the west side. The central riveted steel section to the surviving parapet to the east is an interesting survival, and is a feature of many of the early twentieth-century railway bridges constructed throughout Ireland. This bridge was originally built by the Strabane to Letterkenny Railway Company (worked by the Donegal Railway Company Joint Committee) as part of the Strabane to Letterkenny railway line, which opened in January 1909 and closed on the 1st of January 1960. This modest railway bridge acts as an historical reminder of the once extensive railway and narrow gauge railway network in Donegal, and is a subtle element of the built heritage and transport history of the county.