Categories of Special Interest
1740 - 1840
Attached four-bay two-storey with dormer attic level double-pile former hotel, built c. 1860 (and possibly containing earlier fabric of building c. 1762) and altered c. 1900, having integral segmental-headed carriage-arch to the south end, two gable-fronted dormer openings to the front, single-bay single-storey gable-fronted canopy porch to front with later enclosed additions, and with various returns to rear (east) including two-storey outbuildings and single-storey dining room forming courtyard. Possibly originally a house but in use as hotel by c. 1904 (Ordnance Survey twenty-five inch map). Currently out of use. Pitched slate roof with four smooth rendered chimneystacks, replacement rainwater goods, and with projecting eaves course. Cement rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth course. Square headed window openings with smooth rendered reveals, replacement timber casement windows having gabled timber hoods over. Some surviving stone sills. Square-headed doorways to north and south sides of modern infill to porch having modern glazed timber doors; flights of cement rendered steps to doorways having metal guard rails. Projecting canopy porch having cast-iron lettering reading 'Sweeney's Hotel' to the north and south elevations and 'Hotel' to the front (west) elevation). Segmental-headed carriage-arch having smooth rendered voussoirs and wrought-iron flat bar gates. Road-fronted to the north of the centre of Main Street, Dunglow (An Clochán Liath).
This substantial building retains much of its early form and character despite some modern alterations. It is one of the most substantial buildings located along Main Street, Dunglow (An Clochán Liath), and is a landmark feature in the streetscape to the north of the centre of the town. The loss of the original fabric to the openings, the construction of an enclosed porch to the earlier open porch, and the dormer openings at roof level detract from its integrity. Of particular note is the canopy porch that projects out of the footpath with attractive cast-iron lettering of c. 1900. This feature, along with the scale of the building, helps to give this building a strong presence. According to local information the hotel was apparently built in 1762 and has been in use as a hotel for centuries. However, the form of this building suggests it dates to the second half of the nineteenth century, and it does not appear to be indicated on the c. 1835 Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map. This hotel was apparently run by the Sweeney family from an early date, and a John (died 1909 aged 100) and\or a James Sweeney was the proprietor by 1870. The family also owned a drapery business adjacent from c. 1870. A John Sweeney is recorded as manager at a hotel in Dunglow (An Clochán Liath) in 1881 and 1894 (Slater's Directory). Sensitively restored and brought back into use, this prominent building would make a positive contribution to the streetscape of Dunglow (An Clochán Liath), and would represent an element of the built heritage of the town.