Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1910
Attached corner-sited five-bay two-storey former hotel, built c. 1890 and altered c. 1980, having two modern dormer openings to front elevation (north-west) and with two-storey return to the rear. Possibly originally in use as a Temperance hotel. Now in use as a public house and guest house. Pitched artificial slate roof with some surviving cast-iron downpipes, two modern square-headed dormer openings to the front elevation (north-west), and with roughcast rendered chimneystacks to the gable ends (north-east and south-west). Smooth rendered walls at ground floor level up to arch springing point of window openings and roughcast rendered walls over with slim render band between. Segmental-headed window openings at ground floor having slim painted concrete sills, smooth rendered reveals, and replacement timber casement windows. Square-headed window openings at first floor level having smooth rendered reveals, painted stone sills, and with eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows. Central segmental-headed doorway to front elevation (north-west) having replacement timber panelled double-doors, and plain overlight over. Doorway approached by stone step. Series of wrought-iron light fittings at first floor level having decorative curvilinear brackets and spherical lampshades. Road-fronted at corner site at junction of two roads to the centre of Kilmacrenan. Yard to the rear with series of single-storey outbuildings to the south-west, now converted to accommodation, having pitched slate roofs, rendered walls, and square-headed openings with replacement fittings.
This substantial and well-proportioned former hotel, of late nineteenth-century date, retains much of its early form and character, particularly at first floor level. Its visual appeal is enhanced by the retention of salient fabric such as the timber sliding sash windows at first floor level but the alterations at ground floor detract from its integrity. The simple but appealing decorative wrought-iron lamp fittings add some modest interest to the main elevation. This building was apparently originally built as a Temperance hotel, one of many that were established throughout Ireland during the last decades of the nineteenth century. The Temperance movement in Ireland was an influential movement founded by Father Theobald Matthew in 1838 that was dedicated to the abstinence (and lowering) of the consumption of alcohol. Occupying a prominent corner site to the centre of Kilmacrenan, this building has been an integral element of the social fabric of the town and it represents an interesting historical reminder of the Temperance movement in Ireland during the nineteenth and early-twentieth century. It dates to a period when this part of Donegal was becoming a popular holiday destination, and it is one of a number of contemporary hotels in the area that were constructed in the last decades of the nineteenth century to facilitate the growing desire of the Victorian middleclass to avail of outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing etc. This building is one of the better surviving traditional buildings in Kilmacrenan, and is a modest addition to the built heritage of the local area.