In Use As
1800 - 1840
Detached five-bay single-storey folly, built c.1820, facing north with three-bay single-storey return, modified c.1980, now in use as a shelter within a forest park. Recent flat corrugated metal roof with timber soffit and recent metal rainwater goods. Random rubble stone walls. Loggia to north comprising four evenly spaced open round-headed arches with brick surrounds and a blocked-up arch offset to west with internal roller shutter, single round-head opening to east end of loggia. Recent quadripartite timber glazed clerestory to upper section of return to east. Three round-headed openings to lower section with red brick surrounds to southernmost arches and punched ashlar jambs to northernmost arch, all now blocked up with brick. Painted random rubble stone walls to interior with recent timber ceiling and concrete floor. Splayed embrasures to inside of arches, wall niches flanking east arch. Recent timber bench lining blank walls south and west walls.
An unusual example of a folly within a demesne landscape which formed part of an earlier saw mill to the northwest of the site, demolished between 1840 and 1910. The loggia affords several viewpoints on a rise of ground out to the grassed area of the former demesne landscape where individual specimen trees still feature. The rustic quality of the building is highlighted by its simple finishes and lack of ornament. The folly is a defining feature of the architectural character of the demesne landscape setting.