1840 - 1880
Ruinous remains of detached three-bay two-storey country house over basement, built c.1860, now in ruins. Roofless with rendered chimneystack. Some remains of tooled eaves course. Smooth rendered walls with channelled render to basement, and having moulded limestone plinth course between these levels. Square-headed basement window openings have some exposed red brick. Camber-arch window openings under steps having brick surrounds and limestone sills. Square-headed window openings with tooled sills elsewhere. Round-headed door opening having moulded render surround and approached by flight of steps with wrought-iron railings having curved terminals to limestone plinth walls.
Although ruined and overgrown, this forms a natural eyecatcher in the landscape around Ballyturin. The building was enlivened by decorative render detailing highlighting the piano nobile storey. The symmetrical fenestration layout was typical of the country house tradition in Ireland. Despite the loss of much fabric, the entrance retains the elegant metalwork of the curved balustrade terminals. In May 1921, an RIC man, his wife and two British Army officers were killed in an ambush at the gates of Ballyturin House. Margaret Gregory, the wife of Lady Gregory's son Robert, escaped without injury.