1840 - 1880
Freestanding gateway, built c.1860, comprising round-arch vehicular entrance flanked by lower round-arch pedestrian entrances. Roughly dressed granite rubble-work walls with later rubble-stone buttresses and remains of render to rear elevation, rendered red brick crenellations over render cornice with central cross finial. Granite voussoirs and block-and-start surrounds to entrances. Decorative double-leaf cast-iron gates to middle entrance.
This fine gateway, formerly the entrance to an abbey, reflects the important role that religious orders played in communities such as Roundstone. The gateway has a restrained monumental quality.