1860 - 1865
TOWNPARKS(ST. NICHOLAS' PARISH)
Attached three-bay four-storey former house, built 1862, with shopfront to ground floor, now in use as public house, with recent two-storey and single-storey extensions to rear and south-east. Flat roofs having projecting rendered eaves to main block with rendered chimneystack, cast-iron gutters and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Rendered walls with render quoins to front elevation and roughcast rendered to side and rear. Pebbledashed walls to extensions. Render and tile shopfront comprising pilasters with plinths and carrying panelled timber consoles, architrave, frieze and moulded cornice. Square-headed window openings to front having raised render reveals and sills, with two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear elevation having single and bi-partite two-over-two, twelve-over-eight and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings to extensions having raised render reveals, render sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Canted divided square-headed timber-frame window to shopfront having stained-glass panels to lower part of canted sides, polished marble tile stall-risers and recent metal window guards. Square-headed door openings flanking window, having glazed timber panelled doors with overlights having metal window guards. Limestone wall to south-east side enclosing yard with integral camber-arched opening with tooled surrounds and voussoirs and having variety of replacement timber fittings.
This attractive public house has retained a fine pub-front with some interesting original features such as decorative stained-glass panels and the marble plinth. The pub front creates an interesting decorative contrast with the simplicity of the rest of the building which is enhanced by the retention of varied timber sliding sash windows.