Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1825, retaining early fenestration. Renovated, c.1900, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and moulded rendered surrounds to first floor. 1/1 timber sash windows. Timber shopfront, c.1900, to ground floor with tiled Ionic pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled doors with overlights, and timber fascia with decorative consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house, which is now disused and in the early stages of dereliction, is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that retains its original form and most of its original character. The house retains many important early or original salient features and materials, including an attractive early-surviving traditional shopfront of considerable artistic merit. The house is an important element of the streetscape of Merchant's Quay.