1910 - 1920
Terraced two-storey shop over half-basement, built c.1915, being eastern half of three-bay composition with building to west, and having shopfront to ground floor. Rendered parapet and chimneystack to roof. Painted rendered walls with moulded render cornice and modillions, with Giant Order pilasters to upper floors terminating in paired eaves brackets. First and second floor windows to both elevations in slightly advanced render compositions. Square-headed tripartite window openings to first floor with concrete sills and moulded render surrounds, with moulded render panels above over which are Diocletian windows of second floor having moulded sills, moulded render surrounds and keystones. Timber casement windows to second floor and replacement timber windows to first floor. Shopfront comprises half of chamfered entranceway leading to upper floors with glazed entrance door having mosaic threshold, pilasters with moulded decorative panels and dentillated fascia, with square-headed plate glass windows and glazed shop door. East gable has render pilasters to ground floor over render plinth above basement level. Base of town's hexagonal medieval market cross partly underlies east gable.
This premises forms part of a decoratively rendered and classically-detailed large-scale building occupying probably the most prominent corner site in Clonmel, at the junction of O'Connell Street and Sarsfield Street and opposite the Main Guard. The building stands on part of the original market place of Clonmel, as evidenced by the visible market cross base. There is much decorative emphasis in the structure, as seen in the moulded surrounds to the large window openings, pilasters and cornice. The building also provides variety of style and form to the streetscape.