1750 - 1790
Terraced three-bay two-storey house, built c.1770, with disused shopfront, and with single-storey extension with lean-to slate roof to rear. Pitched sprocketed artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Painted rendered walls with render quoins and render eaves course. Square-headed openings with moulded render surrounds and moulded sills, with replacement uPVC windows. Timber shopfront comprises fluted Corinthian columns with entablature over comprising architrave, frieze and dentillated modillioned cornice, with panelled stall riser and limestone plinth. Moulded detailing indicates formerly three-light display windows. Half-glazed double-leaf panelled timber shop door with decorative over-light and timber frieze, flanked by fluted pilasters and decorative consoles, in turn flanked by display windows with rounded and decorated top corners with wrought-iron window guards, panelled timber stall risers and dressed limestone plinths. Timber panelled house door with full-height sidelights and decorative over-light and timber frieze.
This simply proportioned building is given its principal interest by its exceptionally fine shopfront. This latter displays a classicism more usually associated with the porticoes of country houses, with great attention to detail in both the design and the execution. The cornice has egg-and-dart motif moulding and carved modillions as well as dentils. The capitals are remarkably faithful to the Corinthian order of ancient Rome, complete with corner helices, abacus, astragal, fleuron and three rows of acanthus leaves. The building continues the roofline of the street and its render decoration enhances the façade as well as emphasising its form and proportions.