1830 - 1850
Freestanding gable-fronted single-cell Roman Catholic church, built in 1840, comprising four-bay nave, open work bellcote and recent porch to front (south) elevation. Pitched artificial slate roof. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls with render plinth course having limestone buttresses to front elevation. Pointed arch opening with limestone surround, render hoodmoulding and timber Y-tracery stained glass window. Pointed arch openings to nave having limestone surrounds and timber Y-tracery stained glass window. Square-headed opening to porch with timber battened door. Square-headed opening to east elevation having timber battened door. Pointed arch opening to interior with chamfered limestone surround and stained glass overlight over half-glazed timber panelled double-doors. Timber battened ceiling to interior. Timber gallery with trefoil-headed motifs. Marble memorial plaque to west wall. Limestone font to south having octagonal base and inscribed marble font. Marble altar and reredos. Graveyard to site. Pair of square-profile rendered piers to south with double-leaf metal gates and rendered boundary walls.
This church, located in a prominent position in the village of Athlacca is typical Gothic Revival style pre-Emancipation churches in Ireland at the time. Its façade offers variety of materials and texture to the streetscape. The simple form is articulated and enlivened by the well crafted limestone detailing, such as the window surrounds and buttresses.