1920 - 1960
Terraced four-bay three-storey public house, built c. 1940, having render shopfront to front (south). Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, eaves course and uPVC rainwater goods. Rendered walls with rendered platbands and shingled panels between openings to first and second floors. Square-headed window openings with render sills and replacement uPVC casement windows. Render shopfront comprising fluted pilasters with masked capitals, surmounted by fluted consoles, moulded dentilated architrave enclosing frieze and dentilated cornice. Square-headed window openings having recent single-pane timber-framed windows with bipartite single-pane overlights and timber glazing bars over panelled render stall risers. Square-headed door openings having double-leaf and single-leaf timber panelled doors. Situated fronting directly onto Main Street.
This commanding building forms an integral part of an historic terrace of shops and public houses. Its unusual design features a mixture of decorations with masked keystones contrasting against modern styled geometric shingled panels. A substantial shopfront dominates the façade with an oversized frieze enclosed by an unusual dentilated architrave. Early to mid twentieth-century architecture was heavily influenced by contemporary politics with many building designs attempting to form a national identity, this is best exemplified here by the inclusion of masked capitals depicting figures associated with the fight for Irish Independence.