1800 - 1805
Freestanding oval-plan multiple-stage Martello tower, built 1804, now disused. Dressed limestone walls with cut limestone coping and carved limestone water drainage spouts. Square-headed openings. Round-headed door openings now boarded. Surrounded by limestone lined moat. Accessed via narrow limestone bridge and concentric enclosing walls.
Martello towers are defensive forts built by the British forces in several countries in anticipation of a Napoleonic invasion. This tower is one of five in Cork Harbour, built as a line of defence to withstand an invasion from the continent. It survives largely intact and forms an interesting part of the history and heritage of the area.