1800 - 1840
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1820, having single-storey two-bay recessed flanking wings to sides (east, west) with pedimented breakfront end-bays. Later two-storey pitched roof extension to rear (south) and side-entry porch to front (north). Hipped and pitched slate roofs with artificial slate hanging to central chimneystacks, rendered chimneystacks to wings. Ceramic ridge tiles to rear addition and porch with timber bargeboards and finials to gables. Timber bargeboards to wing gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls having cast-iron vents to plinth level of central block. Rendered plinth wall to porch having timber cladding to gable. Diminishing square-headed window openings with stone sills throughout central block, uPVC casement windows to first floor and twelve-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor. Diamond window opening to rear elevation, having rendered reveals and timber casement window. Round-headed windows with stone sills to wings having three-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with spoked fanlight to upper sashes. Oculus window openings to gables, having rendered reveals and timber casement windows. Square-headed window openings with timber sills to porch, having fixed timber-framed windows. Round-headed door opening within render doorcase to interior of porch, comprising engaged Doric columns surmounted by architrave and fanlight, having replacement uPVC door set in front of pair of timber panelled double leaf doors. Square-headed door opening to porch having glazed timber double-leaf doors and limestone stepped approach. Rubble stone single-storey pitched roof outbuilding to rear displaying family crest with date to side (north) elevation. Remains of earlier castle walls to side (north). Set within own extensive grounds having recent enclosing walls with gate piers to east along roadside.
A handsome, well-balanced building set in a historically rich area. The building's classical proportions are enhanced by the retention of historic features, such as the timber sliding sash windows, slate roof and fine doorcase. The additional flanking wings are particularly attractive.