Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Corner-sited end-of-terrace five-bay three-storey house over basement, built c. 1820, now vacant. Hipped tile roof with rooflights, moulded render parapet, and rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls with string course between basement and first floor. Projecting porch with render pilasters, added c. 1870, to round-headed door opening having fanlight. Moulded render surrounds and pediments, c. 1870, to window openings. Cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths enclose basement area.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place and part of Sidney Place. They are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The regular façade is enhanced by the decorative render detail, which is a later addition.