Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey over basement house, one of a largely identical row of twelve built in 1859, now in use as a guest house and restaurant. To the front elevation there is a full-height hipped roof canted bay. The façade is finished in painted render, whilst the pitched roof is covered in artificial slate and has a slight overhang and a shared brick chimneystack. The high level entrance consists of a partly glazed replacement timber door, jambs with decorative brackets, and a plain rectangular fanlight; it is reached via a long flight of stone steps with decorative wrought-iron railings. The steps are abutted by the steps of the neighbouring property. The windows are flat-headed and have replacement uPVC frames. One of the basement windows has been made into a door. Modern signage to the canted bay and to the entrance. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The house faces out onto a seafront road, but is separated from it by a tarmaced forecourt.
This residence is one of Bray's earliest and most complete seafront terraces. Although it has been altered in recent years, it remains of considerable importance in terms of local heritage and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.